Friday, March 4, 2011

Homemade Pan Mee

When i was small my mum used to call me loudly after she knead a Pan Mee dough from the kitchen. I will helped out to roll a dough into tiny pieces and soak into the water. My mum never used the machine to cut the noodles. Her traditional way will be soaked the tiny dough for 5 minutes, then pull it longer like a noodle. The dough that soak into the water to make the noodle soften.

My daugh asked me to cook Pan Mee for her dinner tonight. Actually I planned to cook rice since she requested for pan mee and i feel like eating too so i prepared in a last minute. I gave one bowl to my neighbour. She returned the bowl after 20mins. I guessed she might be hungry :oP. She said the soup was tasty.






Dough:
170ml water
1tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
300gm plain flour

Method:
1. I used breadmaker to knead dough. 
2. Roll the dough into tiny pieces as shown in the picture and soak into the water for about 5mins or till soft.
3. Take a tiny dough to pull it gently and thin like a noodle size. Make sure not too hard as there will be a hole on the noodle.
4. Put the noodles into boiling soup on low heat as you need time to tear more noodles.
5. Add spinach follow by seasoning. 
6. Garnish with fried onion, some onion oil and fried anchovies. Ready to serve

Ingredients for soup:
Small bunch of anchovies (for soup)
4-5 slices ginger
500ml water
Pork ball or slice pork (Depends on individual desire)
Spinach

Seasoning:
Salt, sesame oil, pepper. (I didnt do the measurement, it depends on individual taste)
Small onion and extra anchovies.(For garnishing)

Method:
1. Rinse anchovies, drain and put aside to prepare soup.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Fry onion and anchovies until golden brown. Reserve onion oil. 
3. Heat oil in a another pot/wok. Fry ginger and anchovies together for awhile then add water for boiling.
2. Discard the anchovies after boiled.


5 comments:

  1. Long time I didn't make pan mee.
    Thanks for the tip on how to elongate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks and sound good! thanks for sharing jes! i'm gonna love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    Now i know the word elongate not "pull it longer"..oh dear my english so pai seh. haha

    Jess,
    My pleasure :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Your pan mee looks delicious. I used the same method as you, aside from soaking in the water for 5 mins, just wondering why?

    The korean makes their own version of pan-mee, but it's more chewy. If you used 2 cups of plain flour and 1 cup of potato starch and you gradually add water until its more like a dough, if it gets too doughy just add a bit more of the plain flour. Then you should cover it for 10 mins to let it ferment, and use zucchini and anchovies for the soup base. You should tried it next time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kate,

    Thanks for sharing the korean method..i will try to do it.

    Soaking in the water in order to soften the dough and easy to elongate it. The noodles will be soft and thin after cook.

    ReplyDelete